Thursday, September 17, 2009

September 17, 2009. Chevy Chase, Md. Books.

It was a very elegant event, held in a lovely home in Chevy Chase.  Margaret and Bob sent the invitation  to attend a cocktail party to meet Peter Kilborn, and to hear about his new book"Reloville".   The date was tonight and the time was from six to eight.  Certainly, we attended and enjoyed it thoroughly.  Peter is the husband of Susan, an agent in the office I have worked with her for over twenty years.  I like Peter and although I only get to see him infrequently, I always wish I could talk to him more often, so tonight was a perfect opportunity to see and speak to Peter and to hear a bit about his new book.  Before he retired five years ago, Peter wrote feature articles for the New York Times and he was always travelling, so he always missed all the parties, although I suspect he would not come to the parties even if he was in town.

The food was ample and tasty with just enough to curb your appetite but not so much you felt full.  The wine flowed while folks greeted each other and chatted with Peter and Susan.  A table was set up in the front hall so books could be purchased and Peter signed.  From one stand point, the event was very commercial, but from the other hand the whole ambiance was gracious and elegant.  Peter spoke for about ten minutes about the book and about how he decided on the topic, then ten more minutes of questions before Ken and I were ready to head for home.  Peter's book has been very well reviewed and he is pleased as punch to have the book out in print, even more pleased to have the books sell.  Ken put the book on my Kindle and we purchased two books  tonight,  signed by Peter.  His next book will be  "Golf for Geezers".  He started to play golf when he was sixty-seven and as he is now seventy, he knows a lot about golf and geezers.  I look forward to his next book and very soon, I will  read "Reloville".

No comments: