Tuesday, September 8, 2009

September 8, 2009. Chevy Chase, Md. Brothers.

My brother has indulged me all my life.  It is unbelievable but true, but I do not think we have ever had harsh words about anything, not even a serious argument.  I was fortunate to be the sister of my brother David.  Even as a young child, my brother gave me what I asked for, so when I needed bus money, he gave it to me.  He was a very good older brother, and he still is.  The truth is, Dave has never said no to me.  When we wanted to buy our first home, Dave lent us the down payment and when we wanted to buy country property he and Irene bought half of the farm even though we live two hours away from the farm and they lived ten hours away.  They were helping out.    If anyone wanted to look at good supportive families they would do well by looking at our family.  For three summers I lived with them when I took Physical Education classes at McMaster University before I married.  Their children were young so putting up with me I am sure was not easy, but they both accommodated me very well.  It really has been a remarkable run of events.

Ken and I and Dave and Irene have played tennis together many times and often attended tennis resorts together, along with Andrew nd David.  By then their children were grown and gone so our boys played tennis along with the adults.  And we had many long hikes together and taken them over many rough patched of the trail.  But they have always been good sports about our travails.  Often they stopped to visit us on the way down and back to Florida and they visit us in Nova Scotia every year.  Graduations are not big deals in Canada and after Andrew's high school graduation when the only one attending was Ken and me, Dave and Irene have attended every graduation for both David and Andrew for college and graduate school.  They were helping out and of course having fun as well.  It has been a life time of helpfulness from my brother who has always had the support of Irene too.

I hear other folks speak of their siblings and tell tales of the difficulty they encounter.  But not me.  I have always had the good fortune of having my brother David who has never caused us a moment of grief who along with Irene have enhanced our lives immeasurably.  I am a very lucky lady.

1 comment:

dave buckley said...

I am most humbled by your comments. Thank you.

Dave.