Monday, September 21, 2009

September 21, 2009. Western Head, N.S. Home Again.

That is what folks say when we arrive back in Nova Scotia. "Welcome Home." It is a lovely and heartwarming greeting. Then we both laugh, as we all know we only live here part time. It seems that some things have never changed. Tonight after dinner and after Carol and Ken went to a hockey game in Bridgewater, Ken and I took a hot tub. The sun had just set so the sky was red and orange and the new moon was just a sliver up in the sky. The sight was gorgeous. Well worth the trip up to Nova Scotia.

But some things do change. On the way home from the grocery store I called my friend Mary and Walt and Walt asked me to stop by their home, on my way home from the store. He sounded a bit strange and I wondered why they were at home at 4:30, but of course Carol and I stopped by only to discover that Mary had just come home from the hospital in Halifax. Last Thursday when walking to her car in the parking lot, Mary fell and could not get up. After an xray at the Liverpool hospital they found that her femur had broken and in immediate need of repair, so off she went to the Medical Center in Halifax for the surgery. Now she is home but can not put any weight on her leg for the next six to eight weeks. Mary is a person who moves quickly, but not now. She is using the walker and the crutches but prefers the walker. Oh my goodness, this will be a trying time for poor Mary and Walt. It is stupid to say, but accidents happen so very quickly, in the twinkling of an eye, but the recovery of the accident is long and tedious. I feel so badly for her. Fortunately this big bone in the thigh for Mary is not displaced but is broken right across the bone just below the hip joint, but this big bone is such an important bone in the function and weight bearing of the body that having a break is a serious thing indeed. I wish her well. Her last words to me was "I heal quickly...I hope". I wish I could think of something to do to help her.

No comments: