Wednesday, January 12, 2011

January 12, 2011. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. Vitamin D.

"Stay in the shade.   Apply sun screen every time you are out in the sun.  Protect yourself from skin cancer. "  Those have been the rules for many years...  until now.   I am supposed to be out in the sun for a minimum of 20 minutes a day, optimally full sun with no sunscreen,  because it turns out  I am deficient in Vitamin D.    In addition I am supposed to take 1000 something of Vitamin D every  day.    So far, I have not been perfect.

First of all, I hate sitting in the sun.  I get too hot.  My skin is not the skin that easily gets skin cancer, as Ken and Christina do, but I get lovely large freckles all over my arms and legs and face, which are ugly.  I don't really tan nicely.  But here we are, in Paradise, sitting in the full sun for twenty minutes trying to be good.

Last Spring, my Internist declared me short on Vitamin D and told me all the problems of it's deficiency, including the immune system.  As I am having difficulty shedding myself of the infection acquired in Texas,  it dawned on me that perhaps I should take seriously this Vitamin thing.   Starting yesterday, I sat in the sun and I took my Vitamin D which comes along with my Calcium pill each day.  Ken hasn't told me all the bad things that happen when you are short of Vitamin D.  He is afraid I will get all the symptoms.  Now I am a believer and I might even double my Calcium pills, which truthfully only have 600 somethings of Vitamin D.

It is the latest trend.  Years ago it was Vitamin C.   Take them and have no colds.  Next was Vitamin E.  Take it and get smarter.  Now it is Vitamin D.   Actually, I only have 50% of it in my system, which turns out to be a national norm.  Remarkable but true.  I am a believer now.

No comments: