Tuesday, January 4, 2011

January 4, 2011. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. More Books.

I am in the midst of another enjoyable book, "Extraordinary, Ordinary People:  A Memoir of Family", by Condolizza Rice.    She spoke at the NAR last year.  During her talk she referred to her family and I was determined to read her book.  It has been waiting in my Kindle until now.  She was personable and pleasant and funny in her speech, giving several stories about buying and selling houses and telling us about the best qualities of agents.   Then, as her speech was fairly short, the President interviewed her.  Sitting in the middle of the stage, she responded to many fairly personal questions about her training and her upbringing, which encouraged me to read her book.   I still find it amazing that she was born and raised in Birmingham, Alabama, the most segregated city in the country.

Another book I finished yesterday was written by David Eisenhower and Julie Nixon, dealing with the years of the General/President from retirement to death.    It is not a perfect book.  The writing is uneven, but in it are stories you would never hear  concerning Ike, without reading these  told by David.  The events discussed all took place during my lifetime, which makes the book doubly interesting, because I read the book, then try to recall what I was doing or thinking at the time.  Just now, the so called experts are re-thinking the whole Eisenhower presidency, so it is interesting to read the book right now.  The book is worth reading.

No comments: