Monday, January 24, 2011

January 24, 2011. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. Out of Touch.

It is very odd for me, not being in touch with the people I have paid attention to for the past 23 years.   For some of the agents at work I have been involved with their business life the whole time, if for nothing else than cheering them on their path of success.   Now I am retired and now is the time to allow the agents to build their support so it is best for me to stay out of the picture, but it certainly does seem odd.  Until this past year, I was always back in the office after two or three weeks.   In 2010, we changed the system and I was away for longer periods of time.  In November,  Wes thought it best to allow me to retire right away,  which for Ken and me was for the best.  Ken is already doing better with the warm clean air of Mexico.

Joyce was talking with me the other day about my retirement life and suggesting that I will have major changes with scheduling, now that I am retired.   I, on the other hand, suggested that I have been partly retired for the past three years  so perhaps I will know my way through retirement.  She correctly mentioned that, while I stayed connected to work,  I always had the place in my mind, to make plans and to try to solve any issues.  Now I don't.  " The bigger part", she said,  "is that all the people you worked with will no longer be in your world."  She thought I needed a new schedule and a new 'to-do' list.  I think she is right.

It just feels odd that I know nothing about Sarah or Debbie or Betty or Regina or Carol or Peppy or Maureen or Joe.  Ken says I'm just nosy.  I like to know how they are getting on.  It certainly is odd for me.

4 comments:

Joe Rubin said...

An irresistable invitation.

We soldier on at Gateway, even without you. As the year has yet to take form, we are in our self congratulatory January mode having made the Billion yet again. I am tickled to report that it was my last deal of the year that put us over, for which I demanded just the right bottle of Scotch, a double casked, small vintage single malt. I was rewarded handsomely and almost correctly. It's tough to please a booze snob like me.

Kennel Club came and went. What a hard fought year! It was the smallest attendance I've known and spirit was subdued. the dogs were NOT on the table; alas, they have yet to arrive. You should complain.

The Upper East Side tech lounge project is applauded and approved at ALL levels (construction, IT, corporate), yet lies languishing somewhere between Gateway and Chantilly. I kicked the hornet's nest a bit today and expect some stings tomorrows. Stand by.

Me? An interesting day. Started with a no-show plumber at a big center hall rehab I am speculating on. Had to drop everything to find a commercial broker in Richmond VA to handle a $16MM commercial bankruptcy property and then hustle off to list three unsellable lots in Silver Spring. I then returned to the office to find confirmation that I had achieved Master's Club Hall of Fame status. I told Regina I could retire now and she just about threw a shoe at me. I finished at #38 on the L&F list, methinks good enough for #1 individual in the office, but not sure company-wide. I became aware of these award milestones in no small part to you and I do NOT take them for granted.

Have spoken at length to Kathy Yamada, Paul Merritt and, alas, Barbara Lucas in the past week. You were a topic, as always, and all are interested, albeit a bit concerned, in you and send their very best regards.

The market remains sketchy, although there is an abundance of hope in the air. You know and I know that every year is a datapoint in a cycle; we just still don't know what the cycle is.

Meanwhile, my little family thrives. Sofia turned two in October and translates Spanish/English between Maria and me. She will NOT speak Spanish to me, no matter how hard I try. Nor English to her mother. It is remarkable, hysterical, frustrating and fascinating.

We are coming up on the All Office Seminar (yawn) and the roll-out of the new commission options (?!?). I should have some interesting reportage forthcoming.

You may never realize your imprint on many of us but it means a lot that you retain your interest in us. With any luck I will see you this year, hopefully in Texas!

Love to you and Ken and your big ol' fambly from your buds at Gateway. You live in our hearts.

Joe

Joe Rubin said...

Dammit. Irresistible.

Set said...

I think it's time you get on Facebook. There's a lot more interaction between friends and you can keep up with the day-to-day activities of the people you care about.

Sara Lou said...

Great idea - Facebook. I can connect with you as I check Facebook to catch up on my 'friends.' Sorry that I have not corresponded more - it is like the exercise and dieting. My goal is good but not well executed! More snow expected tomorrow - oh to be in sunny Mexico.