Tuesday, January 18, 2011

January 18, 2011. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. Another Good Book.

"My Reading Life" written by Pat Conroy is an interesting and instructive book.  I enjoyed it although I am not sure I have read any of his books.  It deals with the question of how writers become writers, something that has puzzled me all my life.  Look him up and you will see that many of his books were made into movies and his titles seem familiar to me but I do not recall any of his books in my memory bank.  But I loved this book, a personal telling of the important influences on his life as a reader and as a writer.

From his Mother to his first good English teacher to the owner of a bookstore, through Thomas Wolfe, Leo Tolstoy and James Dickey, they all played a part in his life as a writer.  I loved the journey.  Now I must find our more about this interesting man.  Once again, I do not recall placing this book on my Kindle.  Perhaps I had read a review in the past and kept it until Mexico where time to read is readily available.  I am certainly pleased to have found this book.  It is well worth the time.

1 comment:

Sara Lou said...

Pat Conroy wrote Prince of Tides - movie made starting Barbra Streisand and Nick Nolte. I loved the movie. I also read Beach Music a long time ago. A good Southern author.