Thursday, January 27, 2011

January 27, 2011. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. My Past and My Future.

My brother thinks I need to find another job.  He may be right.  We will find out.  Certainly, my past has been full of finding a task, getting proficient, then finding another task.   I have been extremely goal oriented.  It never occurred to me that quitting was an option.  Once I started up the ladder I wanted to get up near the top.  Of course I was careful what I attempted.  I knew my limitations.   All my life I could not sit still and  had great difficulty being bored.   In fact,  both as a child and as an adult I tended to misbehave whenever I got bored.  Fortunately I selected my vocations to fit my abilities and liabilities.  For instance, when I was a manager, we always kept our sales meetings to thirty minutes, mainly because after thirty minutes both the agents and me became bored by it all and are ready to get on to something else.  I love accountants but I never could contemplate being one.

Now I am in the position of being hedonistic and doing whatever I want that pleases me.  This is not something I have ever considered in the past at least not for the long haul.   Most of what I have done in my life was done because it was for someone else or it was earning the money to live the way we wanted to live.  So far,  I am doing well,  however the people I have known in my life who were hugely self indulgent have mostly been a pain in the backside.  It's all about them.  I must remember and do better.

My brother, when he retired, took on an almost full time job of playing his trombone in three musical groups, complete with rehearsals and performances.  His vacation was dictated by his performances, in other words, his job.   As I have no talent except reading and talking, I will continue on my path, floating around North America and keeping in touch!!

No comments: