Monday, January 3, 2011

January 3, 2010. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. New e mail.

My new e mail address is Frdickie@me.com.   Ken's is Kennethjd@me.com.  It works everywhere in the world and we always travel with a computer.   I need my own,  because Ken sometimes forgets to tell me what is happening on his e mail, thus the need for my own.  My first e mail came today from my sister-in-law Irene.  Very nice to know it is working as we just established it yesterday afternoon.

I have a reputation at work of not using e mails and that was true.  I decided early on in my management career to delegate everything I could to someone else, except for talking to agents to enable them to get better at their job, so Regina checked my e mails regularly and responded to those not agent important.   On my desk was put a copy of everything else.  It was very efficient, but became somewhat limiting but I stuck with my system...until now.   Over the years   I took a lot of heat from the agents for my lack of speed with the e mails.   My observation was that most managers were spending way too much time at the computer and not enough time with the agents, so I took the ribbing in good grace.

Every so often I would remind them that I am an early adaptor of technology.  As an agent I bought a "car phone" the first week Cellular One received their license.  It cost $3,000.   And I was using a Kindle long before anyone else had heard of the device.  But now I will be using my new e mail.   Ken is not nearly as quick to report events to me as Regina!!

No comments: