Wednesday, March 13, 2013

March 13, 2013. Jackson, Mississippi. Children.

I know better than to ask a question to a child , but I did it anyway.   Molly was playing in her bedroom.  I walked by on the way to put in my eye drops.   Foolishly, I asked Molly if it was OK if I used her bathroom to use the mirror.   Molly look at me and grinned and said "It would be better if you used Kate's bathroom."   So I went across the house to use Kate's bathroom, realizing that I had just asked a foolish question.

If our conversation had been over heard by Christina, Molly would have been corrected, but as I had asked the question, I had to agree with the answer.  What Molly was thinking, I suspect, is that Kate has been away in New York, so her bathroom was tidy while Molly's bathroom was definitely not tidy.  Also she knows that normally I use Kate's bathroom and Molly is a child who likes routines.  She likes everyone in their proper place.   Often, we switch seats at the dining table.  That does not please her at all.   So I suspect that in her mind, I am supposed to use Kate's bathroom every time.   I chuckled but I knew that Christina would not be pleased to hear Molly's response to my question.  But I never said a word about it.  I just laughed.    "If you don't like the answer, don't ask the question," I said to myself.

No comments: