Monday, December 1, 2014

December 1, 2014. Ridgeland, MS. Distractions.

I need more distractions. If you are feeling a bit under the weather, a bit of a distraction takes away the sick feeling, at least for awhile. When you are really ill, a distraction will remove you from the present to another world. I suspect that the mind assists with the recovery of good health, but of course, I have no clue if this is true. Years ago, my oncologist suggested that it has been her observation that folks going through chemotherapy who are also working seem to have an easier time, although she pointed out that there has never been a study. The distractions of the job made the therapy easier, maybe. My problem is the lack of distractions. In our condo we have no TV. We are not able to make trips around Mississippi. Reading is not always easy. I have a whole host of activities that I can not do easily, such as walk around the grounds or have dinner with the family. Being short of breath is not a killer but it certainly is uncomfortable so I am only active when necessary, as I was told to take it easy. Fortunately, my friends and family e mail me which distracts me a bit. "This soon will pass", I say to myself. With any luck, the biopsy will show a clear cell, a cell that can respond to treatment to clear up my pleural effusion. In the meantime, I need all the distractions I can get.

No comments: