Monday, December 15, 2014

December 15, 2014. Ridgeland, MS. Southern Christmas.

The outside of the house is elegant but the charm is in the interior, especially at Christmas. The tree is 20 feet tall, tucked in the corner of the large living room. It is perfect for the size of the room. The mantel is loaded with live boughs and holly, with nut crackers poking up here and there. Three new Christmas stockings are hung on either side of the mantel, all made by Eleanor, the lady of the home. The stockings are beautiful and are a new addition for Christmas 2014. Home made chocolates and toffee sit in Christmas bowls on the side table. With the wood in the fireplace giving a rosy glow, the living room was the perfect place to talk and drink coffee. But the best part of the event was lunch in the dining room. More boughs and holly line the center of the 24 ft. table, with small lights surrounding the greens. Eleanor spray painted walnuts and persimmons in a silver color, and they wrap the boughs. Very clever and a wonderful decorative touch. The side board foliage had been spray painted gold so along with more nutcrackers and more greens, the scene jumped out to say "I am beautiful". In a southern Christmas, the people come first. The six folks who gathered for our coffee/lunch Christmas Party were delighted to be together. The food was delightful, as Eleanor is an excellent cook. This was the first time I had seen these good friends since our arrival in Mississippi so we a were pleased to get together…finally. Underneath it all was the reality of my health and the fact that everyone is missing Andrew. Our Christmas Party was festive and fun but we all had to overcome our sense of loss. However, southern Christmas is not to be missed and I feel fortunate to have been invited into a Southern Christmas party.

2 comments:

Chris O'Leary said...

This is Chris O'Leary. I was Andrew's roommate freshman and suitemate junior year. I just learned of his passing. I wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and your family at this time of the year. I have four kids of my own and I can't imagine what y'all are going through. If the girls ever want to hear some stories about their father, let me know.

Chris

Unknown said...

Hello Mrs. Dickie. It's Jim Acri hoping you remember me. I recently ran across your blog - I'm so sorry to have heard about Andrew. I don't have your contact info but would love to hear from you. My office number is 410-266-2049. Please call when you can and I hope to talk soon.
Jim