Tuesday, December 16, 2014

December 16, 2014. Ridgeland, MS. Good and Bad.

The oncologist we met with today is willing to direct my treatment, even if I am not in Mississippi. This is a good thing. The only thing she asks is to have a local oncologist wherever we are living. This might be a problem in Liverpool. She also said that my disease is treatable but perhaps not curable. And she thinks that the pleural effusion should disappear with the demise of the cancer mass, but that is not guaranteed. So this is the good part. Today we cancelled our flight to Puerto Vallarta, but just for a bit. This is the bad part. Our old plan was to fly to PV on Thursday and returning February 24. Always, there is another test, so Thursday I will have a PET scan which will determine if the cancer has spread to other origins or bones. Once the oncologist has that information, treatment decisions will be made on Friday morning at 8:00, followed with the beginning of treatment. She suspects I will have chemotherapy plus oral medication. That will not be easy. The good thing is that we will begin treatment on Friday and that will be very good indeed.

1 comment:

Mitch said...

Dear Ruth,
You've been so good to me and my family over the years. We love you and will indeed be cheering you on through your treatment.
Mitch