Tuesday, December 23, 2014

December 23, 2014. Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Living and Dying.

My friend Nancy E.told me of a conversation, where the parents of an 18 year old were upset about college expenses. Nancy said to me, "This child did not get to be 18 over night. Every year the parents should have been saving." Of course, she was correct. The same thing is true of living and dying. We are dying the fist time we begin living. It does not come as a surprise that when folks get old, they die. It is all part of the cycle of living. Now when people die young and can not live out their term of being productive, we are correct to be upset. But when old folks die, we have no right to be upset, other than we will miss them. Rather we celebrate their life. I have a terminal disease. Left without treatment, I would be gone in many months. For some reason, I am not upset about this, merely irritated. But we are seeking treatment which because of new research has the promise of extending life. Ken and our friend Graham say many years, but the Oncologist is not so sure. At least two she says. It is certainly nothing to pine about!!

No comments: