Sunday, January 10, 2016

January 10, 2016. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. The Birds.

The White Pelicans are out in force this month.  Every morning I see them skimming along the tip of the waves.  They are quite a sight.  Last week the Brown Pelicans put on a show for us  at lunch, diving for their own meal.  We have seen the Frigate Birds this week, but not many.  I spotted a Great Kiskadee last week sitting by the pool.

Yesterday we moved our room.  Wendy and Ken are with us so we are in a suite with a living and dining room along with two bedrooms.  And we have a large terrace.  This morning, while sitting drinking my second cup of coffee, a small bird came to visit.  For at least 15 minutes,  he sat on the corner of the railing preening his feathers.   Of course I sat still and watched.  Now I need to know the name of the bird.  It had a white breast and a dark head and back.  It was a bit bigger than my thumb.  Where was Pat C. when I needed  her?

A Social Flycatcher came to visit too, and a black and white bird I could not identify.  With so much activity on by balcony, I crumbled up a roll and left the crumbs on the concrete railings.  Sure enough, a house sparrow came to snack.  I suspect the folks who were staying in the suite last week were in the habit of eating on the terrace.  The birds came to pick up their crumbs.  Lucky me to get to see all these birds so close to me.

No comments: