Thursday, January 21, 2016

January 21, 2016. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. The Taxi Driver.

As I opened the door of the taxi, opera music was coming from the car.  My first thought was to wonder if the driver would turn down the music but he never did.  All the way to the Mega store in Bucerias I was serenaded with this good music.   Conversation was impossible.

My second thought was that this taxi driver must be the most unusual driver in Mexico.  Typically the  drivers are polite and engage you in conversation.  They also drive like mad men.  They all keep a cross and a rosary hanging from their rear view mirror, along with several other talisman and trinkets to keep them safe.  My driver had all the stuff hanging in the front but he drove carefully which surprised me too.

I was by myself and after we drove away, from Playa Royale,  I could not get the seat belt to click shut.  Without saying a word, the driver pulled over to the side of the road, get out from his seat to open the back seat and  clipped me into my seat belt.  He did not say a word.

I gave him an extra tip.  The journey to the Mega store to get groceries was the most pleasant  drive I have ever had in Mexico.

No comments: