Thursday, January 7, 2016

January 7, 2016. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. Richard T.

Richard is our friend and he is dying.  I do not like it.  Richard and Marilyn are both doctors.  They know that dying is as much a part of living as being born.  I know that too,  but I still do not like the fact that Richard is dying of colon cancer.  He is 84 and has decided that he will receive no treatment.  His attitude is that he has done everything in his life that he had wanted to accomplish so he could die peacefully with this disease.

Richard is interesting and interested in lots of things.  And Richard likes us.  At this point of our life there are not so many people we know who we can talk to at length about many different topics and who also like us as people.   Richard and Ken talk the same language of medicine and their backgrounds are somewhat similar, so I would wish for our conversations to continue.  

But I am being selfish.  Richard has decided his path and is content with his decision.  Now I must begin to do anything I can do to be helpful, beginning now.  The only problem is that I am in Mexico and he is in Houston.  But I will send hugs via the airways so he will always know our arms are wide to engulf both him and Marilyn.   It might not help them but it will help me to send those hugs.

No comments: