Monday, January 11, 2016

January 11, 2016. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. Lalo.

He looked to be 15 but is probably 25.  Immediately, when he was introduced to me he called me Grandma.  How did he know I was a grandmother?  I do not  even wear a wedding ring.  I went to the spa to have a manicure, pedicure and hair cut.  Lalo was to perform all three tasks.

Lalo is thin,  wears an ear ring and is good looking in a Mexican kind of way.  He did everything I needed him to do and he did it in the way I wanted him to do it.  I have not been using polish on my toe nails because I was getting white flecks in the nails, so for over a year I have been allowing my nails to breathe and heal.  I told Lalo my story.  When he was finished, he told me that my nails were healthy and that I should color them silver.  I agreed so now I have silver toe nails.  Lalo says my grandchildren will love it.

The last task was my to trim my hair.   He asked me if I was going to grow my hair long.  I just laughed and told him the tale of my hair.  He trimmed a half inch off my hair and gave me a pixie cut, at least that was what he called it.  And he said I was trendy with my hair.  I suspect it was a style 30 years ago but he is wanting to flatter me, all the while calling me Grandma.

Lalo speaks good English and he learned all his skills on the job.  He has never gone to school to learn how to cut hair or to do manicures and pedicures.  He comes from a state far north in Mexico that is very poor.  He moved to the tourist area in order to make a decent living.  He will do well with his life.  He is cheeky and enthusiastic.  When I left, he took my arm and accompanied me all the way down the stairs.   He wanted me to take the elevator but I refused so he made sure I was safe.  And he bade his new grandma a fond farewell.

No comments: