Wednesday, January 17, 2018

January 17, 2018. Playas Royale, Mexico. Surf Kiting.

The skill is enormous.  I watch from the balcony as the person skitters along the top of the water, first going to the right until I can no longer see him.  Then he returns, heading in the opposite direction along the shore.  Next, the kite heads out to sea until I can almost not see them.  Shortly, the kite and driver returned to skitter along the shore once again.  I have no clue how this small kite shaped like a boomerang can allow the person on the board change directions at will.

We first saw this type of kiting in Texas on the Gulf but it was being done on the water between the island and the shore, where the water is calm.  Today is windy and the waves are high.  But there it is, going full steam ahead.  I was impressed with the skill even though I was a long way away.  I do not even know what it is called but I call it surf kiting because the person is in the surf and he is using a big kite.  I enjoyed the spectacle.  Made my day sitting on the warm sunshine, drinking my orange drink.   But I only saw one person.  I suspect it is difficult.  I loved watching the show.

No comments: