Thursday, January 25, 2018

January 25, 2018. Playa Royale, Mexico. Surprises.

At 7:45 this morning the phone rang in the condo.  The hospital was calling to tell me that I was required to come to the hospital immediately because Ken was being transported to the main San Javier Hospital in Puerto Vallarta for a test.  I was required to accompany the ambulance and to sign the authorization to transport.  I was still in bed.  I dressed and walked to the hospital, which is just across the road.  No breakfast and no coffee and no shower.  Then I sat beside Ken's bed waiting.  After a 20 minute delay, the young men unloaded Ken and in we went.  The driver was careful and did not use the siren as this was not an emergency.  The Cardiologist wanted an echo cardiogram.  This drive into PV is busy with commercial ventures all along the road.

Once at the main hospital Ken was wheeled to the correct section, with me following along.  I sat in the room with Ken while the Cardiologist administered the test.  He told me that Ken's heart is strong.  Not perfect but strong, which he said is why Ken is able to fight these multiple infections.  So  back we go to the ambulance and drive back to Nuevo Vallarta.  But this time we had sirens blaring.  I asked the driver  why, and he  told me that the use of the siren was to help the traffic.  "We have a heavy work load, and we must make each trip as quickly as possible"said  he.  The cars do pull over as you approach making the drive back quicker than going.

We arrived at 10:30, and as visiting hours are from 11 to 1, I decided to stay beside Ken's bed, even though he was mostly sleeping.  A smart phone is a godsend at a hospital.  When I was leaving just before 1:00, I had my backpack on the counter while I removed the gown and hat.  But my backpack fell into the sink, where there is an automatic spray of water to wash your hands.  I was obviously not at my best because it took me a few seconds to realize that the tap was spraying water all over my stuff.  And that was the funniest thing that happened today.

No comments: