Wednesday, April 1, 2020

April 1, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. The Grocery Store.

Last year, my grocery store chain, Krogers, started a new system. Customers could order their groceries on line. Then they pick up the groceries outside the store, where staff bring the groceries out to the car. People liked it. But now the customers like it even more. I went to the grocery store this morning. Kashina drive me, then waits outside in the car while I do my shopping and get in my walking. Today I was amazed. There were more staff people filling the on line orders than there were regular customers. The staffers use a cell phone to check off their list. And it appears that they are working with more than one customer at a time. I heard on TV tonight that grocery stores are having to hire more staff. By the time I left, there were more customers than staff people. But by then it was lunch. I can report that there is no shortage of food in the grocery store. The shelves are full of everything. But there were exceptions. There was very little bottled water. And there was no bread that I like, the multi grain loaves. And of course, there was no toilet paper. But that was all. The rest of the shelves are packed with products. The meat department is full of lovely looking meat and there was plenty of options in the produce department. The truck drivers have been working. I have been puzzled by the amount of hoarding. Why are people buying so much toilet paper? The same for bottled water. There is no problem with the water systems yet people are buying bottles of water. But I can report that the grocery store is full of food, which is a good thing. And when I got home, I washed my hands.

No comments: