Tuesday, April 7, 2020

April 7, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. The Olympic Channel.

2018 was the year of the last Winter Olympics. But we were in Mexico and Mexico has no interest in winter sports, so no events were on our TV. I did get to watch some events when we got home but mostly I missed all the events, even though I kept up with what was happening. This year, the Olympic channel was showing events as they were being held but once all sporting events were cancelled, the channel showed past events. I saw the world gymnastic finals. Same with ice skating. But they were just repeating them over and over. Finally, this week, they started showing finals from the 2018 Winter Olympics. Some of the events I have no interest in watching but Saturday night I had a big treat. The women's hockey final was being shown, the Canadians against the Americans. The game was interesting and exciting and I loved every minute. The Canadians had won the last 4 gold medals at the Olympics. The US team won the annual world championships but the gold medal at the olympics had not been won by them since I think 1982. I could not remember who won the game so I was interested to the bitter end. The US ladies won in a shoot out. The competition between the teams were fierce. Many of the players had been on the same college teams so they were looking for bragging rights. It was great fun watching the game. Next up they showed the curling gold medal. Now this one I knew who had won but I never saw the actual game until Saturday night. The game was for the gold, between Sweden and the US. No one dreamt that the Americans would get to play for the gold but here they were, looking cool as cucumbers. The Swedish team was ranked number one in the world. And everyone expected them to win. But the game was close the whole way. I knew that the Americans won by winning big in one end but I did not know when. Finally, the game was close but the US team scored 5 point in the 7th end. With that lead, they went on to win the gold. I was excited all over again. So something good comes from everything. On Saturday evening I got to watch two thrilling events. I was a happy camper.

No comments: