Friday, April 10, 2020

April 10, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. Home Exercise.

Pat and Tom conduct Scottish Country dancing in their condominium every day. They put on a record and dance away. In the real world, they attend classes and dances once a week but now they dance by them selves at home. "It is a good work out," said Pat in an e mail. I was wondering what can be heard by the people below them. My friend Butch uses a stationary bike, given to him by his brother for Christmas. He rides for 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in late afternoon. The people in Sicily perform calisthenics on their balconies. Some gentleman in the middle of the street leads and people follow from their balconies. And they have fun. If you could see me from above, you would think I was nuts. If the weather is not good to walk in the neighborhood, I walk inside the house. Fortunately the house is wide. Even when I am reading or on the iPad, I get up every hour and walk around the house. I walk around the outside walls but of course, inside the house. And I walk around the bar and the dining table. After ten minutes, I sit back down to read. Every day I perform exercises for my arms and legs. And every other day I go downstairs and lift weights for my arms. I am not able to walk the 10,000 steps such as Rita and Gill do every day but I like to walk between 3,000 and 7,000. steps each day, as recorded on my phone. Today was windy with waves on the reservoir. I have been told not to walk outside during high winds so today I walked inside. So far, I have walked 3072 steps. If I walk more than 7,000 steps my legs hurt at night. If I walk fewer than 3,000 my legs hurt at night. By the time I go to bed, I will be over 4,000. Every time I get up from a chair to get anywhere, I walk a circuit or two around the house. If you could see me, you would think I am confused about where I was going. My system works. I know this is not as good a workout as walking for a longer time at the same time time but at least I get some exercises. In Nova Scotia, walking inside is difficult because the house is too small from one side to the other. But I use the deck outside along with the stairs to get a bit of exercise. But for now, my drill seems to be working. And that is good.

No comments: