Monday, April 13, 2020

April 13, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. The Storm.

I was lucky. Yesterday afternoon a bad storm came through Mississippi. It came from the southwest and hit Louisiana first. Next it continues its path through Alabama and Georgia and South Carolina. In Mississippi alone 11 people died. The tornadoes did the damage. In the greater Jackson area we had damage with trees down and thousands of folks without power. The storm was a big one and covered a large area but in Jackson we got no tornadoes. I was ready for a big storm. Christina put my car in the garage and the young college student across the street moved his car into the other side of my garage. One of his windows leaks and his car is always parked in their driveway. And I have flashlights set beside everywhere where I might be sitting whenever the electricity goes out. So I was ready for a big storm. What I got was three periods of heavy rain, high winds and thunder, each storm lasting about ten minutes. I could see no lightning although the thunder was loud. When the storm would kick up, I expected it would get worse but it never did. After listening and watching the storm, everything got quiet. After about an hour, it would start up again. At least three different times I felt sure the really big storm was coming to stay. But it never did. We had no hail either. My cleaning lady was forced to drive to me via an alternate route because several large trees covered the roads. And she was out of power. The hail damaged cars around her. So my area got lucky and Christina too. All the people who died in Mississippi died in their homes. Wreckage from houses is still being worked on so the officials expect that the death toll will increase. Some days you just get lucky. I had no bad storm yesterday and all is well with me.

No comments: