Saturday, April 11, 2020

April 11, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. The Roof.

In the corner of the living room you can see a water mark on the ceiling. Actually, I do not see it, but the son of my handyman spotted it last week. He told his father so on Monday he came to take a look. Chantes and his crew replaced the roof for my neighbor before they sold. He checked my roof and suggested that I probably should replace the roof. All the homes were built at about the same time and about one third of the homes sport new roofs. But I asked hime to fix the leak because I could not get organized so fast. In this subdivision you must get a permit to put on a new roof. And the new roof must meet specific requirements. My roof is a cedar shake roof. Each shingle is thick and nothing seems to be out of place. And I have only one leak. Except I do have two leaks in the garage which we have ignored. So Chantes and his crew fixed the leak. Turns out that a squirrel had chewed a hole to get into the attic so no wonder I had water leaking in my living room. Now the hole is covered with metal, which is a good thing because tomorrow we expect a big storm. I talked to son David and he and I decided to not replace the roof this year. And I will look for problems. These shingle shake roof were advertised to be a "life of the house shingle shakes". But of course, in No Scotia we installed a new roof in 1999 with a 25 year life shingle. But as we live by the sea, I had to put on a new roof this Spring. Roofs are expensive so I did not wish to put on a new roof here in Mississippi. Our storm tomorrow is supposed to be big and dangerous. Christina put the car in the garage to protect it from the hail. And I will watch for my roof. So far I have dodged a bullet. Now I hope for the best tomorrow.

No comments: