Tuesday, September 15, 2020

September 15, 2020. Western Head, Nova Scotia. The Sea.

I have no idea how it happens. There seems to be no storms out in the Atlantic Ocean but all of a sudden the sea is noisy and the waves are high. Perhaps it happens bit by bit and I just do not notice what has happened but by noon the waves were high and by 5:00 the surfers were out in force. All night the waves kept crashing into the shore making the whole house noisy. This morning the waves were again high. And they were beautiful. Just watching them was worth the journey here. Yet more surfers appeared to try their luck. At one time there were 9 surfers out in the water. When Anna and I returned from our excursion there were 6 cars on our side of the causeway and 9 over by the church. Three of them were small RV's or vans which means the surfers are sleeping in their vehicles or at least changing into their wet suits in private. Mostly these fit folks just strip down beside their cars, ignoring the few cars driving by. From my bedroom with the windows closed I can hear the loud waves. But some time soon, for no apparent reason the noise will cease and I will return to calm seas. And I will never know why.

No comments: