Tuesday, September 8, 2020

September 8, 2020. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Canada's Special Places.

The program is wonderful: half an hour of pictures and dialogue about the special places in Canada. I catch them on the Eastlink Channel. The first one I spotted was on Spirit Island, off the coast of British Columbia. Ten percent of the black bears on the island are white, called by the natives, spirit bears. If both bears have the recessive gene and mate, there is a chance of having a white bear. The picutures were wonderful. A tourist could hire a guide and find some bears, but not very many every year are allowed. The next show I saw was on the National Park on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. I have seen on the Cabot Trail several times but other than a hike, we had never spent much time there. The pictures again were wonderful and make me want to go back to take another look. The program tonight was on Algonquin Park in Ontario. I enjoyed it although I knew quite a bit about the park. Again the pictures were great. Even though the program was filmed in 1990, the scenery does not change, nor the history of the park. But I was left with questions. 370 cottages were built by private parties in the early part of the 20th Century. The leases were to expire in 2017. So what has happened to those cottages? Next were the wolves. There were 30 packs of wolves in the huge park but the researchers discovered that they migrate out of the park during the winter. Half the wolves get killed. Three counties have protected the wolves during the 5 winter months but the progrsm was encouraging the government to protect the whole bountry of the park. So what was done? Logging was still being done in the park but folks were urging the authorities to eleminate all logging in the park. I do not have the answer. Canada has many beautiful places. Now I must be careful to find the programs. I have enjoyed them all.

No comments: