Tuesday, September 22, 2020

September 22, 2020. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Hurricane Teddy.

Teddy has already shown himself in Gull Bay, although the brunt of the storm will not arrive until nighfall. It has been raining since noon. And the waves and wind are already too dangerous for the surfers. The gusting winds would blow them off the boards. Yesterday they surfer all day. I fully expect the power to go out sometiome over the night so I will keep the flashlights near at hand. And I will fill the bathtub. The furniture has been taken into the garage all set for the winter and the storm. Perfect timing. Anna and Jacky, my cleaning lady organized the garage and brough the furniture inside. So I am set. The waves are beautiful: large and with rooster tails blowing off the top of the waves. All morning the waves have increased in height as has the wind. Last year during the storm Dorian the waves were huge because we had the wind blowing from two directions. When the two waves met, the height obliterated Gills house from my sight Not this year. The waves are all coming from the south but they are frequent, so the waves just pour into the shore, including my shoreline. No telling what erosian is happening. But the sight is beautiful. Last year during Dorian, I was by myself as I am now. I am not fearful. This house has soon on this site since the beginning of the 20th Century so I expect to be safe and sound. I even love the roar of the wind which is loud as it whips around the dormers. So here we go as Teddy drives toward our shore. The forecast is for lots of rain and high winds along with storm surges. The storm is supposed to skirt our shore, finally coming on land in Cape Breton Island. But we will feel the strength. And we are as ready as possible.

No comments: