Friday, September 4, 2020

September 4, 2020. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Title IX.

Several Universities have announced the cancellation of many sports at their University. Stanford has cancelled 21 and the U. of Virginia 11. I know that the whole. budget at Universities and Colleges is funded by football and basketball. This has always the way. I also know that a school such as Stanford has a huge endowment so they could fund the sports for the coming season even if basketball and football do not have any games this season, but they have decided to cancer 21 sports. I was irritated. I only heard the list of cancelled sports once so I do not have the whole list but they cancelling sports that I did not know they supported such as badminton, field hockey and sailing. Both mens and womens sports were cancelled. Other schools are doing the same. I was a graduate student at the U. Of Maryland when Title IX was passed, when schools were required to fund men and women equally. Most women supported the law but several of the older women professors thought that the law would ultimately allow the University to reduce the number of sports that were supported at the schools. They did not want to have womens sports to be tied to the men. Their anxiety proved to be true. These cancelled sports do not only effect American student athletes. When you watch the world championships in any sport, you hear that many athlets attended american universities so these cancelled sports will impact athletes all over the worls. I will be interested to know if all those sports will ever return to be funded at Stanford even when the money makers return to play and make money. I am betting not. We will see.

No comments: