Monday, November 2, 2020

November 2, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. Sand Glass.

You will find no sharp edges on the sand glass you find in Nova Scotia. Rather the glass is as smooth as a baby's bottom. I mention it because a friend noticed the small sign on the back of the picture and asked the question, "What is sand glass?" So I explained. During the summer of 2019, the first year I was by myself in Nova Scotia, my friend Ruth, who was staying with me, invited a friend from New Brunswick to visit us for a day and a night. As you would expect, we had a good time. When she got home, she wrote me a thank you note. The card was purchased in Liverpool and was hand made. It was simple but charming. There was a black stem, made by ink. At the top of the stem were pieces of beach glass, collected on the beaches of Nova Scotia. One green colored glass in the middle and seven white encircling the green stone, making it into a flower. I liked the card so I kept in on the desk by the telephone. My intention was to have it framed and hang it in some bathroom. But there are no framers in Liverpool so the card stayed on the desk. In 2020, when getting ready to come home, I decided to bring the card home and have it framed in Jackson, which I did. Kashina found a framer in Ridgeland close to home so thanks to GPS we found the framer and in 6 days the little card was all set to be hung. Now if you visit friend Eleanor, you will find it on the shelf in the Family room, along with china and fancy porcelain. I took it to her when she was having cookies and tea for the ladies. The little card is still charming but now it looks a bit elegant. Eleanor is pleased and so am I. The sand glass has found a home.

No comments: