Saturday, November 28, 2020

November 28, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. Soup.

Fortunately I like soup because for over two weeks that has what I have been eating. Christina sent home made soup with me after our Thanksgiving feast. The container was large so I have eaten small bowls ever since. She made it from scratch and containes crunchy vegetable along with the broth. It is delicious and I have enjoyed it. Now I must ask her tomorrow what makes for the crunch. My down the street neighbor brought soup which served me for three meals. And the acromm the street neighboe brought over two large containers of vegetable soup that I ate on for a week. So I have been living on soup. Over the years I have enjoyed soups in many countries. In Mexico I order tortilla soup. Every rtestaurant has it on the menu and everyone is just a bit different. But it is always delicious. Maryland is the same. Every menu offers Maryland crab soup and everyone is just a bit different. I always order it. Once in northern Italy we were staying at a ski hill which provided all meals. So you just ate what was brought to the table. One evening st dinner, soup was delivered. Neither the boys or Ken and I could eat it. The taste was terrible although everyone at the adjacent table were devouring the soup. And they were enjoying it. Few people spoke english so we never did learn anything about the horrible soup. When Ken was recovering from surgery in 1963, the Russian lady who lived below us in the house made Borscht and brought us a big bowl to help Ken's recovery. We had never eaten it before but it was delicious. The old couple were kind and encouraged Ken to sit in the sun in the backyard to help recovery. But at least once a week, she delivered the delicious borscht to us, just to help Ken get better. Ken and I always recalled the soup and wished we could taste it again. The taste remains in my memory bank as a favorite soup. I have ordered it in restaurants but it was never as good as the old ladies soup. I like soups of all kinds. Now I look forward to the two servings I still have in the fridge of Christina's home made soup. And I will enjoy.

No comments: