Friday, February 11, 2011

February 11, 2011. Vallarta Palace, Mexico. More Books.

I recently read another of Bill Bryson's books "An African Diary".    It is short and describes eight days traveling in Africa with the Care group, specifically to write a book to raise money for Care.  It is a re-printing of the book originally published in 2002.   The second part is the first chapter of Bill's latest book I just read, The Home, added as a way to flesh out the African Diary and raise more money.  Bill is an excellent entertaining writer but the African Diary is not worth buying.

Jerome K. Jerome deals with every ism controversial at the turn of the century and beyond.  The really interesting thing is that we still argue about the same topics today.  Things always stay the same, it appears. He is a tedious writer but certainly tells you how people lived at that time period.  He is a bit like reading Edith Wharton, but not nearly as skillful.  I completed one of his books and have completed  5% of his work  on my Kindle.  My problem is that I really only want to read "Three Men on a Boat", but I do not know how to find it without reading everything ahead of it.  There must be a way.

I am now reading a biography of John Adams, by David McCullough.  You know a lot about John Adams, but until now I have never read a biography so I am enjoying it.  Interesting man and an even more interesting wife.

No comments: