Monday, February 28, 2011

February 28, 2011. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. Irish Stories.

I have always loved reading short stories.    In the past, magazines all published short stories in every months edition.  Now the only publication of note that always publishes short fiction is Commentary.   Over the years I have read many many short stories written by Irish writers, and have always thought them of high interest.  They tell a good tale.   I am now reading a re-printing of an anthology "Classic Irish Short Stories",  compiled by Frank O'Connor, who died in 1966, so this book is not new.  But they are wonderful stories and worth reading again.  I also just discovered that Elizabeth Bowen is considered Irish when I always thought her an English writer.

I thoroughly enjoyed the biography of John Adams.  I always knew him and his contributions to the country but I never knew much about him in detail.  Now I could bore you with the details!!.  I also read a piece by Bill Bryson on Shakespears, telling everything known about the man.  Clearly, the book was not long as not much is known.  As usual, Bill Bryson is interesting and entertaining.    I am also in the midst of a book about Mathematics by Alex Bellos, called "Here's Looking at Euclid".  It is fascinating, but I turn to the Irish stories for real enjoyment and fun.

I still have two books in my Kindle, but I am afraid it must await another long quiet time.  When we return home I will have magazines to read and objects to organize, so reading will wait.  I will be ready.

No comments: