Wednesday, February 2, 2011

February 2, 2011. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. Jerome K. Jerome.

It must have been free on my Kindle.  I have the complete works of Jerome K. Jerome.   Ken spotted it on his Kindle and asked me if I was aware of the author.  I wasn't but he was on my Kindle so I must have put it there.   I vaguely recall a review of a resurgence of interest in this obscure English author so,  as it was free, I now have it in my e book.  

I started into the first book, and read all day.  I have read 3% of his complete works!  The protagonist in this book,  (the name escapes me),  is a woman,  which for a man gives himself a difficult task.  It is ridiculous the things he says this lady speak, but of course, I was not there in the late nineteenth century so perhaps that was how they spoke.

I subsequently looked up information about Jerome K. Jerome.   His best book was 'Three Men on a Boat', the only book that was successful.  It has been made into a movie no less than three times.  He was poor as a child, was a journalist, wrote his whole life and had one child, Elsie, who died before him.  He died in 1926.  He wrote a memoir which I will read.  But I bet I will not read the complete works of Jerome K. Jerome.

No comments: