Wednesday, February 16, 2011

February 16, 2011. Vallarta Palace. Fourteen.

Kate was fourteen yesterday.   She was thrilled with her birthday, as a gift from her parents was her own cell phone.   To receive her gifts, she was required to seek them out from the list of hints given by her parents aka a scavenger hunt.  So first she must figure out where it was, then find the gifts, somewhere in the house.  The final hint was the sound of the ringing phone, which she was required to track down.  I was not there but it seemed like a great idea and certainly, she was thrilled.   I bet she will always remember her fourteenth birthday, the day she received her first cell phone.

I have no recollection of my fourteenth birthday.   I know I turned fourteen when living in Vancouver and I know I was busy.  But I have no clue about the gifts or a party.   I was in the 9th grade when I turned 14, attending King Edward High School.  I played on all the school teams, field hockey, basketball and softball, also track and field where I threw the discus.   The only reason I was on the track and field team was because  my friends from the other teams  were on it and I wanted to be on that team too.  I certainly could not run fast or jump far, so the only thing left was the discus.  I was terrible but I had fun.  Then I worked Saturday morning at Grace Hospital for Aunt Margaret, attended Girl Guides Thursday evenings,  and Corps Cadets Tuesday evenings.  Youth Group was Friday evening.  Also sang in the Singing Group led by my Mother.  Life was busy.  No wonder my grades were not so great.  From all that time ago, I still have my good friend Beverley who was also a girl guide but did not attend  The Salvation Army.

Things have changed so much.  I attended all these events using  public transportation, even after dark.  And I certainly did not have my own cell phone.  But in the world of today, a young person needs a cell phone for security so I am delighted that Kate has her very own cell phone.  Kate is delighted too.

No comments: