Sunday, November 27, 2011

November 27, 2011. Canyon Lake. The Tudor Secret.

It is another rollicking historical novel, written by C.W. Gortner, the author of The Last Queen. I enjoyed it thoroughly.  Now I must refresh my memory about the sixteenth century.  I have studied English history but not for a long time and it is clear there are lapses in my knowledge. The mid century was a particularly difficult time for England, before Elizabeth became Queen, with the Tower of London in it's hay day.

Two characters in the book did become responsible for the Elizabethan intelligence system, thought to be one of the best ever in the world.  I knew this, so it was interesting to see them as main people in the book.  The protagonist is purely fiction but the others were based and named for real people, playing their own parts.   The whole book is one fast moving, interesting spy story, taking place in 1653.  Once again, I am so grateful I was born in 1937, and not 1637.  Now I must read some real history to learn what really happened!!

No comments: