Saturday, November 5, 2011

November 5, 2011. Jackson, Mississippi. Christmas Shopping.

I don't like crowds  and I certainly don't like to go over my budget so early in my married life I worked out a system for Christmas shopping.   It has never changed.  It works for me  now at aged 73 as well as it did at age 20.  

First I decide on a budget.  For many years we had very little money so it was important to keep within the budget.  Next I made a list and thought long and hard about some clever gifts that would be within my limits.  Starting in September, I started looking for gifts, an hour here and an hour there but never with any stress or anxiety.  I kept my list in my purse and kept track of the purchases.  When the Christmas season rolls around, all my gifts have been purchased.  It is a simple system.  All I must do is to plan ahead.

My observation is that often too much money is spent on gifts that are purchased just because a gift must be opened.  In my life, that can not happen.  I am obnoxious in my organization but it pays off.  I can enjoy the Christmas season with out any pressure to go shopping!!

No comments: