Saturday, November 12, 2011

November12, 2011. Jackson, Ms. The Last Queen.

C.W. Gortner wrote the book, telling of a period of history that was new to me., so I enjoyed it thoroughly.  I read it quickly, starting it yesterday and finishing it this morning.   It is a novel, based on the true story of a Spanish Queen,   called  Mad Juana.   The time period is the early sixteenth century.  I was startled to realize that I am ignorant about Spanish history.  Once I started reading the book, I could not draw on my memory of what was likely to happen next in Spain.  But the book is riveting and interesting.   And I learned a lot.

By modern standards, being born to rule was preposterous and ridiculous but it was true.   People were born into their position.   Also,  being born into a noble family meant you were at great risk, as Juana found out to her sorrow.  The women were married off to other high born people all over Europe, for purely political purposes and often while they were children.    It is everything opposite to the way we think about how to lead a successful life.   I strongly object to being born to a position, which is how it was done in the Spain of 1500.    Spain thrived in the 16th and 17th Centuries but since then has gone downhill.  I wonder how much of their attitudes have lingered into the 21st Century?

No comments: