Friday, November 11, 2011

November11, 2011. Jackson, Mississippi. Breast Cancer.

It used to be devastating but with early detection and better treatment, the prognosis for recovery is high.   But being told you have breast cancer comes as a big shock to the system.

My friend G. has been told that she has stage two breast cancer.   Regina from work called to tell me, so I called and talked to G. tonight and explained my method of dealing with the disease.  She was very grateful for the call because talking to someone who has gone through it all before is comforting and helpful.  We talked for a long time and I answered all her questions, I think.

I told her that getting breast cancer later in life means for a longer life.  I told her to  treat the disease without any panic.   Just go through the steps from one to the next until she was cured. And I told her to keep working.  My oncologist told me that people handle the treatment better if they keep busy and involved rather than giving over the disease and think only about the cancer.  

We both agreed that she we were both fortunate to be living in the modern era rather than in 1811.  The good old days would have not worked for either of us.

No comments: