Wednesday, November 30, 2011

November 30, 2011. Canyon Lake, Texas. The Waiting Room.

I was by far the youngest person in the waiting room room of a dermatologist  office.    It was fascinating to observe the interaction and the conversations all afternoon.   Ken and I arrived early for his appointment with the surgeon, who was going to cut off the cancer on his nose.  It was diagnosed in Jackson but we were leaving too soon to make an appointment in Mississippi so after many phone calls, Ken arranged to have the surgery in San Antonio.  It was complicated as a Pathologist  and a plastic surgeon were required to be available.

My corner seat allowed me to observe everyone in the room and I was careful to keep my nose buried in my book so I did not engage in any conversation, but everyone in the room talked to each other all afternoon.   For over four hours I watched and listened to all these old folks who were also having cancers removed.   They had just met but they shared their life stories, told of their careers, discussed the state of their activities, observed the additional traffic these days but never talked about their health or their skin cancers.   They were all cheerful and grateful even though it was a long afternoon.  I just wished they would keep quiet so I could read.  I was not looking forward to the next twenty years of Dermatologists offices.

No comments: