Thursday, November 3, 2011

November 3, 2011. Jackson, Mississippi. The South.

We like living in the south.     We like the weather,  but of course, we are not here in the summer so perhaps we would change our tune if we lived here year round.    Galveston weather we enjoyed and we lived there happily for six years.   But of course,  Galveston is in Texas and not in the deep south.

And we like the people.  They are pleasant and friendly.    They care about their families.  I accompanied Ken at a Doctor's appointment yesterday and three ladies were waiting with their elderly mothers, chatting away cheerfully about this and that.    The children are mannerly.    It was interesting to watch the children come up for their treats on Hallow e'en night.  Every child said  "thank you" and if asked a question responded with a "Yes Sir".

The people seem to enjoy talking history and their state.   I can not recall any conversation with anyone in Maryland where I discussed any aspect of Maryland history.  In the limited time I have been here I have had several conversations about different aspects of Mississippi history.  People seem to care about their past, here in the south.

Several things I don't understand.  One is the terrible school systems.  It makes no sense.  One day soon I will try to find out why.  In the mean time, I intend to enjoy my life in the south.

No comments: