Sunday, February 3, 2013

February 3, 2013. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. A Spouse.

I shamelessly eavesdrop conversations.    If I am sitting by the pool just watching the people walk by,   I  listen to hear what they are saying.   Yesterday I was floating in the deep water not making any noise and from the exchange between the man and woman, I felt sorry for the man who was married to the lady.

What I heard was a couple walking by the pool and calling to the two in the water, asking them to come for lunch.   By now I am watching them but they have not noticed me.   The man in the water came over  to ask his wife and she said  "No, I am not hungry."     After their friends left, the husband asked his wife  and asked  why she did not want to eat as it was already 1:30.    Her response was priceless.   "I did not want to interrupt our routine".     The husband asked "What routine?  We have only been here for four days."    I kept quiet but it was not easy.

She explained to her husband that their routine was to do their exercises in the pool, which I could see they were doing, followed by a walk on the beach and  then another swim and hot tub.  Finally  she said, "We go to lunch together sitting by the  beach".   The husband just shook his head.

I, on the other hand, feel blessed that I am married to someone who can switch our schedules at the drop of a hand.    After several months here, we still have no set routine.  I am certainly fortunate not to be married to someone like that lady in the pool whose routine is set in stone after four days.  Amazing.

No comments: