Friday, February 1, 2013

February 1, 2013. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. Elise.

Modern technology is wonderful.   It all helps to keep us connected.    My great niece was born and raised in Vancouver, so I have only seen her every now and then.  With her parents and brother she attended our 50th anniversary in Nova Scotia but I have not seen or spoken to her since then.  I know about her from my brother and sister in law, as they see her fairly often.   But I have never known her well.    At least, not until now.

http://elisesurseine.wordpress.com/ is her blog.   She is a university student at the University of British Columbia.  This semester  she is studying at the Sorbonne, in Paris and at her Mother's suggestion, she is writing a web log.  So I read her blog and now I am getting to know her better.   I love it.    I am delighted to hear that she is surprised and a bit irritated with the rude service in Paris.   Someone should have warned her.   She speaks fluent french but often the Parisians can't understand her.  I am sympathetic.  Every country in the world has people who are delighted when you try to speak to them in their language...except the French.  They merely criticize your accent.   Now Elise knows that first hand.

It is interesting to learn how a 20 year old attacks a new place.   It is very impressive.   I am delighted to be part of the journey.  Now if she would try to have a regular schedule I will be really happy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Ruth,
Meant to comment ages ago, but somehow seemed to slip through the cracks what with all the distractions of Paris. I'm happy to know that you're enjoying the blog! Yours provides the same kind of connection for me - it allows me to hear about your life, thoughts and musings despite the fact that we are so rarely in the same place. I do feel a bit guilty because despite my best efforts my blogging schedule seems to become more erratic (and infrequent) rather than less so...so don't hold your breath for that regular schedule. - Elise