Wednesday, February 6, 2013

February 6, 2013. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. A Book.

The Garden of Evening Mists is everything I love in a book.   Characters are well formed and the story line is not obvious.  Plus the book takes place in Malaysia, an area of the world I know almost nothing about.   In addition to the main narrative, another theme is remembering and forgetting, something as we age is vitally important.    This book is the second by a man Tan Twan Eng.   He was born in Malaysia and spends his time also in Cape Town.

I don't recall who told me about this book but I am grateful they did.  I loved every minute.   There are not many books telling of the cruelty of the Japanese during the war mainly because almost no one got out alive.  This recounts part of the story, as well as the period of Communist insurrection after the war. The facts are worth repeating even when told in a fictional form.   This book is wonderful and well worth the time and money to buy it.

No comments: