Tuesday, January 13, 2015

January 13, 2015. Nuevo Vallarta, Mex. Antiques Roadshow.

I love to watch Antiques Roadshow but often we have no TV so son David records them for me. When we visit, we sit and watch bunches of shows all in a row. It is fun. Here in Mexico, we have no PBS channel on the TV so I will miss the new shows. Last Monday, David told me that the day after a new show, Antiques Roadshow is put on the internet, and he told me how to access the program. For two Tuesdays in a row, I have enjoyed the new show, filmed in New York, while sitting on the couch and watching the show on my iPad. I loved it. New York people have good stuff. One painting tonight was estimated to be half a million dollars, and last week a collection of old baseball cards were appraised at one million. Who would ever pay that much for baseball cards? Every time I watch a show I learn something, often which is a big surprise to me. Many years ago, I was at a real estate meeting in Toronto. Antiques Roadshow was filming at the same time and we were staying in the same hotel. On the elevator, we chatted with two of the workers and we commented on the people lined up to get into the building. She laughed and said that when they first started, they were fearful that anyone would bring in their antiques to be appraised. But they no longer worry about that. The show has been a huge hit, thanks to people like me.

No comments: