Thursday, March 16, 2017

March 16, 2017. Madison, Mississippi. Our Mississippi Home.

The first Persian carpet we ever purchases is on the kitchen floor leading to the garage in Mississippi.  And the second is on the main entrance hall outside the powder room.   We were thrilled to have purchased them in our first home on Lancaster Drive in Bethesda and I am delighted to see them every day  now.  They were purchased in 1974.

Beside the stairs to the lower level on the left side is a set of built in shelves.   They go from the floor to the ceiling.  Gloria decided to place all of family pictures on those shelves.  When we sold the farm, we brought pictures from two houses.  All our pictures from Chevy Chase had been taken to the farm so we were really bringing pictures from three homes.  Now they look wonderful.  I can see my grandmother Houghton every day along with pictures of our children and their families.  And lots of pictures of the grandchildren.   It is such fun seeing them every day.

We brought a few pieces of furniture  from the farm too, including an old walnut hutch in the dining room and a liquor safe we use as an end table.  And we use our good dishes every day, the same ones we have used for 50 years, but only on special occasions.

When we returned from Mexico, I felt as if I was coming home, which made no sense to me because we have only owned this house for two years.   But since we have arrived,  I have been looking around and noticing that many objects have been in our houses for many years, so of course I felt as if I was at home along with the treasures of our life.  Each object has it's own history and brings happy memories.  We are enjoying this house and all it's belongings.  

No comments: