Thursday, March 9, 2017

March 9, 2017. Playa Royale, Mexico. This Is My Story.

Once upon a time, many years ago, my Father was on the radio once a week.  His program ran for 30 minutes.  The opening and closing music was This Is My Story, a good old gospel song.  He always played at least one band piece, he read the scripture and he had people he interviewed.  And he gave a three minute sermon.   I had not thought about that program for years, until today when I heard the song on You Tube.  Bit by bit, the program came back to me,  but not everything.  But it made me think about my wonderful Father.

For instance, I can not recall whether the program was done in Calgary or Vancouver.  I often went with my Father to the studio when he ran his program.  It was done live.  I sat in the control room beside the man who was in charge and who was responsible for turning on the music.  And he pointed to Dad when his mike was live.  It was all very exciting.

My Father was an able person.  He was serious about his life and his commitment but he also had a sense of humor.  One evening, my Father was to play a trombone duet with someone who I thought was my brother.   My brother has a much better memory then me and has no recollection of the event.      No matter.  After the two players were introduced,  my Father told a joke.   Well, the joke tickled his fancy and he started to laugh, all the while trying to play his trombone.  He never was able to complete the piece of music  Everyone in the audience was laughing too,  except my Mother.   This I believe was in  either London or Calgary.  And I suspect that that was the last time my Father played a trombone duet.

  If you know the words of This Is My Story, which is the chorus of Blessed Assurance, you can know everything about the life of my Father.  He lived that song.

No comments: