Saturday, March 4, 2017

March 4, 2017. Playa Royale, Mexico. Pelicans.

Every evening, in  groups of 6 to 12, the pelicans provide us with a fly past.  Over the water but higher than  the buildings they glide along to the north, probably heading for the nightly roost.   They fly effortlessly, or at least to our minds.  We have brown pelicans and white pelicans,  I have seen hundreds of brown pelicans but have yet to see the white type.  Pat, who is a birder,  saw three from our balcony but I did not see them.  The brown pelicans are enough for me.  They are incredible birds.

After we four watched the sun go down, everyone left me on the balcony all by myself, so I looked out to the sea., The Bay of Banderas.,  I was looking for boats and whales and birds.  What I saw was a display of 2 pelicans fishing for dinner.    First they flew around above the water about 10 feet.  When they spot something, they dive straight down into the water.  After a few seconds, they resurface and float on the water before springing up to repeat their process.    A couple of times one dove close to shore so I am wondering how they avoid breaking their necks.  They put on a show for me for thirty minutes.   White pelicans do not dive for their food.  They float on top and catch fish as they swim by.  I had a wonderful time enjoying the brown pelicans fish for their food.  Then they too, flew high about the building and headed along the shore to the north, looking for their nightly roost.  But  what I show!!

No comments: