Sunday, March 5, 2017

March 5, 2017. Playa Royale, Mexico. Trombones.

I have been listening to trombone sounds my whole life.  My father played trombone as did my brother Dave.  Two nephews play trombone too, Norm and Ben.  And of course, being brought up in The Salvation Army meant that I heard lots of brass band playing.  Every day in our home could be heard the sound of a musician practicing their trombone.  I knew every exercise and I knew all the parts of trombone duets.  But for a while, I have not been listening to the sound of the trombone...until tonight.

On You TubeI I listened to Gunhild Carling, a lady who plays jazz trombone.   The  concert I heard had her playing in the style of many of the famous trombone players of the age.  It was lots of fun.  And she was terrific.

Then I listened to a quartet, The Quartet de Trombones da UA.  They played classical and they played jazz and they were good.  I loved every minute.    And I realized how much I miss listening to the trombone.   Thank heavens for the Internet.

No comments: