Sunday, December 17, 2017

December 17, 2017. Madison, Mississippi. North American Rivers.

North America has been blessed with it's rivers.  From my high school geography classes to my travels in Canada and the US, I have marveled at the rivers.  One of my goals has been to travel the great rivers.  It is on my bucket list.   So far, we have only travelled down the St. Lawrence River, but only from Montreal.  That was 1963.  Not much progress has been made.

When we were both retired, Ken, knowing of my interest, looked up modes of travel on the great rivers.  It turned out to be impossible.  No-one was running cruises in North America.  But not any more.  The American Cruise Line gives trips on the Ohio, the Mississippi and the Snake.  We have booked ourselves down the whole Mississippi River from St.Paul to New Orleans.  We have started to be serious with my quest.

The other night when I was downstairs doing my exercises with the weights, I found a TV show about the Hudson River.  I always watch TV to distract me.  Did you know that BYU has their own channel?  Surprise to me but here it was, a program called "On the Edge of the World".   Starting in New York, they went right up, giving interesting history and facts about the Hudson river.  I loved it.  Once upon a time, Ken and I took the train from DC to Halifax.  The most interesting section was the part from New York to Montreal, where the train runs beside the river.  The journey was spectacular.  Clearly, the railroad company got the best real estate.  The American Cruise Line runs a short cruise up the river from New York but it is short, a total of 5 days up and back.  I guess if we want to for further we must hire a boat with a driver.  Perhaps we could get on the Erie Canal and get to the Great Lakes.  Now that would be a trip.  I think I am dreaming but I did love the show.  The Hudson River is again clean.  Progress.  I want to go!!

No comments: